Please come and join us for an open summer camp at our stunning Vilalte retreat centre running for 2 weeks from 12th August. It will be an open space for people to enjoy the facilities as you wish. We will be hosting optional morning and evening meditation sits, as well as a Chi Kung/Yoga session each day. Burgs will not be present but the rest of the AOM team will be.
Prices will be on a per room, or per tent basis, meals will be charged per person per meal. There will be two kitchens also available for people wanting to cook their own food (vegetarian only). No alcohol or meat will be allowed on the premises please.
Whilst there will be hosts around welcoming you, you will be largely left to entertain yourself and we hope that for those attending meals that you will occasionally help with the food preparation and clean-up.
Attendees do not need to have been on retreat before nor be meditators. We just want to welcome people into our space to enjoy the facilities and relax. We ask that people switch off their mobile phones or use them outside of the grounds to get the most health benefits out of the digital detox. Internet facilities will only be available for emergency use only.
12th – 26th August 2016
Duration: 15 days (minimum stay is 4 days)
Level: All are welcome but there are some restrictions (see below)
Venue: Dhamma Vihara, France
Pricing: See below
– Stunningly located in the middle of a mountain forest, situated next to the well-known GR-10 walkway
– A beautifully renovated 17th Century House
– Newly built Meditation hall and group space
– Landscaped gardens and swimming pool
– Sauna and steam facilities (extra cost)
– Organic vegetarian food
– Drop-in daily group meditations, chi gung and yoga sessions
– Historic, picturesque towns of Ceret, Amelie Les Bains, Cadaqués all within 45 minutes
– Beach (Argeles-sur-mer) 60 minutes away
The following are optional activities which you can enjoy if you wish:
– Evening camp fires, acoustic music and singing
– Forest school
– Wood chopping and collecting
– Helping in the garden
We have a number of rooms available during this time priced per night. Please select from the following:
1. Ash: double bed and single bed en suite bathroom, £60.00 per night
2. Cedar: Up to 3 single beds and en suite bathroom: £60.00 per night
3. Walnut: single bed en suite bathroom, £30.00 per night
4. Oak: 2 floors: double bed and single bed on ground, single bed on mezzanine: £75.00 per night
5. Maple: 3 single beds en suite : £60.00 per night
6. Chestnut: double bed en suite, small room: £45.00 per night
7a. Cherry: Double bedroom, shared bathroom with Hazel: £35.00 per night
7b. Hazel: 2 singles bed, shared bathroom with Cherry: £40.00 per night
8a. Apple: double bed and shared bathroom with Pear: £35.00 per night
8b. Pear: single bed and shared bathroom with Apple: £25.00 per night
9. Hermitage (double bed own small kitchen and sitting room): £70.00 per night
10a. Friend’s House upper: double bed en suite, small kitchen: £65.00 per night
10b. Friend’s House lower: single bed en suite: £30.00 per night
11. Dormitory: Up to 4 bunk-beds, showers: £100.00 per night
12. 4 person Bell Tent (camping): £60.00 per night
13. 2 person Bell tent: £30.00 per night
14. Bring your own tent: £20.00 per night
Please note that we require a 50% at time of booking, with the outstanding amounts required 1 month before your stay.
– Communal House sitting room and kitchen
– Meditation Hall (respectful usage applies)
– Garden, swimming pool and forest
Please note that all meals are vegetarian and organic where possible. Prices are per person.
Breakfast (8.00-9.00am: boiled eggs, bread, cereal, fruit, yoghurt): £5.00
Lunch (1.00pm): £8.00
Light dinner (leftovers, soup, cheese, bread, 7.00pm): £5.00
Meals will be simply prepared, fresh everyday.
People will be expected to help tidy up and wash-up in the kitchen (we will do a rota)
There may be a self-catering option. Please enquire during booking process.
Please note that there is no meat and alcohol allowed on site.
Are available upon request at £5 per day.
Whilst we would like to open our doors to everyone interested in enjoying the space we have established, unfortunately we are not able to accept children.
The retreat centre is not set-up for children and has potential hazards. However, all responsible adults are welcome!
The Forest School will be run by Steven Tart and over the course of the summer camp, he will be facilitating a 4 day workshop in Wilderness Skills and Comedy Improvisation. Although on the surface these two things may seem at odds with one another, they are related in many ways. At its heart, improvisation is about being in the moment and learning to let go of the way we judge ourselves as adults, as we access the true ‘child’ in all of us.
It should also be the best fun you’ve had in a long time!
The sense of freedom and lightness that improvisation brings is, in my mind very much comparable to a deep connection and interaction with nature. We will be learning wilderness skills that were once indispensable for our ancestors, lighting fires using flint and steel, creating woodland art, carving spatula’s, butter knives and spoons using knives and axes, building shelters and learning to thrive in the natural world. We will laugh as we attempt to lose (or indeed find) ourselves in improvisation. I’m excited about meeting you and hope that you will leave a little lighter than when you arrived.
This workshop will run from the 16th – 20th August 2016.
“There are people who prefer to say ‘yes’ and there are people who prefer to say ‘no’. Those who say ‘yes’ are rewarded by the adventures they have. Those who say ‘no’ are rewarded by the safety they attain.” – Keith Johnstone
Steven Tart is a Level 3 Forest School Leader, Improviser, Writer and Filmmaker.
– If you are booking a room in the house minimum stay is 4 days; those booking for a week will be given priority. Those camping in their own tents can stay for any length of time during the 2 week period.
– Travel: Perpignan is the nearest train station. Perpignan, Barcelona and Montpellier are the nearest airports. We will provide a pick-up and drop off from Arles-Sur-Tech bus station at 3.00pm on both Saturday and Sundays. We will also provide a mid-week drop off and pick up on Wednesdays at 3.00pm, cost will be £10pp per trip. For those arriving outside of those times you will need to find a taxi. For those wanting to travel by car please enquire with us as we have limited parking spaces.
– We are afraid children will not be allowed to come. The place is not set-up for children and these are risks we are not prepared to bear with the swimming pool, steep steps, forests and much wildlife. The nearest hospital is over 60 minutes from the centre.
– For those wanting to explore the mountains, please be well prepared with proper walking boots, warm clothes, sunscreen, and waterproofs.
– Please come fully covered with your own travel insurance.
– Mountain Etiquette – please come being respectful of the mountains where conditions can change very quickly, especially for those hiking. For those booking on we will send a document out with some safety guidelines.
Dhamma Vihara is a small but spacious hamlet situated on the South facing slope of the Massif of Mount Canigou, in France, not far from the Spanish border.
Surrounded by natural forest, Dhamma Vihara is a stone and wood group of ancient buildings, carefully restored and renovated.
Inside the property one can find an ancient stone circle (Cromlech) and adventurous trails between enormous boulders and ageless Oaks. The retreat centre is practically on the famous GR10, the Pyrenees track connecting the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean (a two months walk!).