This course is designed to help you systematically build a deep and stable home meditation practice. It investigates how to develop concentration, mindfulness and serenity / mental calm, before going onto investigate how we can use meditation to dig out and release the negative habit patterns of the mind and bad reactions in the memory. It also looks at what changes in attitudes we might adopt and also the changes in the way we might approach major events in our life based upon the insight we develop through meditative practice.
Type: Online Course
Start Date : TBC
Duration : TBC
Suitable For : From Total Beginners and Experienced Meditators
Suggested Commitment : Meditating 4/5times a week if possible
The course is delivered in bi-monthly lessons, the content of which will be made up of some or all of the following:
1. A guided meditation for the week with all the instructions you need.
2. Supplementary discourses explaining the techniques being taught
3. Supplementary discourses covering various adjunct aspects of meditation
4. Supplementary reading material from the Flavour of Liberation ( these chapters are provided as part of the course on the website).
You will be able to engage in whatever way suits you. Be it just learning from the guided instructions each week or exploring in more detail with all the supplementary material.
The meditations will begin at around 10 – 15 minutes and gradually work up to 30 – 35 minutes in the first 12 weeks. Beyond that the meditations will vary in length, building up to 40mins or more.
Our recommendation is that for best results to practice each meditation at least 4 – 5 times a week. It really is like going to the gym. The more regular your practice, the fitter your mind will become and the more you will feel the benefit from your efforts.
As with all our online courses, you will be supported every step of the way. You will have a login to a dedicated course website where you will access the material. You can also seek personal guidance from the teacher at any time through emails if you should need further clarification at any stage of the way.
We all take seriously the notion of physical fitness and we know the profound impact it has on our quality of life.
But not many of us think about our mental fitness in the same way.
Our minds are the lens through which we experience every minute of every day. Improving your mental fitness will polish that lens, enhancing how you engage with, appreciate and live all those moments in your life.
For those who are interested in looking deeper into how meditation can be of benefit to us in our daily lives, this course will help support your aspirations to start living a more fulfilling and happy life.
The programme is open to total beginners and to experienced meditators alike.
No previous experience is necessary to join this course. It will build up from basic A-B-C’s and lead you through to the deeper aspects of meditation and the insight that comes from more immersive practice.
– We will practice different meditation techniques for building concentration (sustained attention), mindfulness and stillness meditation, all of which are aspects of serenity meditation and which form the basis of meditative stability when well established.
– Establish a deep connection to inner stillness.
– Discover the mechanics and energetics of meditation and how to quickly reorganise your mind into a coherent state.
– Learn how to develop and sustain positive mental attitudes and overcome negative conditioning.
– Explore the vast arena that is the field of meditation and experience how this simple process can begin a deep and profound journey of self-discovery.
-How the Unconscious Impacts Our Lives.
-Death and the Dying Process. How to Approach it Consciously
-Learning to be with Grief
-The Spiritual Responsibilities of Parenting
-The Nature of Relationships and Unconditional Love
-Understanding Our Impact Upon the World.
-The Role of Service.
-The Power of Forgiveness
-The Difference between Accountability, Duty, Service and Merit.
-The Rite of Passage – the Process of Becoming Spiritually Mature
-How the Idea of Self Evolves and Conditions Our Lives.
A variety of meditation practices will be used during this course. Systematically working through the core meditations that Burgs teaches on retreat, which includes guided meditations on the breath, the body, loving kindness, and also what Burgs calls ‘Stillness’ meditation.
The course also introduces in detail ways in which we can support our meditation practice by living in accordance with these meditation teachings, which will allow for making progress with your meditation. Insight is also given to various major aspects of our lives, such as death and relationships amongst other topics.